Friday, August 28, 2015

In Memory of Dr. Congyuan Guo (郭聪元, 1948 - 2005)


One of my beloved teachers Dr. Conyuan Guo (郭聪元) has left us in 2005.  The deep impression he made on me and short amount of time we spent together in the early 1980s is not at all proportional. It was he who introduced me into the study of reaction mechanism through kinetic. His technical skills and knowledge in chemistry, especially kinetic isotope effect (KIE), quantum mechanical tunnelling were at the forefront of the field. Unfortunately, directly or indirectly due to some incidents of his professor at Rutgers, Guo left the field and switched to analytical chemistry (PhD, Univ. of Missouri) where again he had a very successful career as an analytical chemist. I always remember him fondly over the last 30 years. I love his super friendly and down to earth demeanor, his practicality as a scientist and a friend, his sense of humor and even his distinct Tangshan accent. 


I wish him rest in peace!

No comments: